Oh boy, this is going to be a tough one for me....I don't have any great card-related achievements, and none of them are very good, I'm afraid...mostly things like when I got my first Macklin Celebrini card. I've been a little bit hit or miss when it comes to collecting these days...Well, might as well give it a shot; Torren' Up Cards worked so hard on his post.
However, these three achievements by no means have to do with value of cards or of their importance. Rather, it has to do with the sentimental value these achievements hold in my eyes.
Hopefully I'll be attending a Sharks game in the near future (post in the making...)
Achievement #2: My Humble Evan Carter PC
I started building my Evan Carter PC right about the time this blog started up. It's still fairly small, though Mr. Carter has surpassed Buster Posey as my second-largest player collection (Ripken still sits on top).
As I slowly rise through the ranks at work and have taken on more responsibilities, as well as my poor time management skills, progress on the PC has slowed. I hope to add a couple more cards to it the next time I hit up the LCS (hopefully within a week).
Here are my three favorite cards of the PC:
Achievement #1: Entering The Blogosphere
I don't think it's so cliche. Before I started my blog on a whim over two and a half years ago, I knew nothing about baseball cards; I was just a guy who liked it when he got 'em; especially the shiny ones. Joining the community did a ton to further my knowledge of cards, not to mention the immersion with other proud collectors with way more impressive collections.
The ride has been super fun...between posting about a bunch of random nonsense, commenting on blogs, partaking in contests, joining the TCDB, and a host of other things, I wouldn't trade it for anything...not even my grail card.
And there you have it. To the ordinary collector, these aren't special - hardly achievements at all. But I have no shame. For me, they're each a memory of a time I did (or am still doing) something I'm passionate about. And that's what the hobby is all about. After all, they do say it's the little things in life that bring us the most joy.
That being said, I have a few goals to keep in mind for my New Year's post which would be a little more impressive...
Thanks for checking out my blog! Make sure to go and find the various posts from this Blog Bat-Around, and to have a great rest of the week!
Random Question of the Post (you didn't think I'd forget it, did you?): If you fell off a cliff and had only one of these items to protect you, which would you choose: a suit or armor, or a lawn chair with as many balloons as possible tied to it?
Creating a blog for your hobby is definitely an achievement, one that at least I take for granted. It shows that you're dedicated to your hobby and that you love it -- probably more than anything else you could do.
ReplyDeleteNice accomplishments, especially the great blog.
ReplyDeleteGood stuff!! It’s been just as awesome from a viewer’s perspective seeing and reading your posts. I look forward to seeing what the blog has got next: Perhaps another installment of THE BOX? Maybe a Player in 200 Words? Completely off topic yet super interesting post? Maybe breaking down some new cards? Or anything in between! Whatever it may be, best of luck to the blog’s future ventures!
ReplyDeleteAnd to answer the question at the end: I’d have to take my chances with the lawn chair & balloons option cuz i just don’t see how the armor would really do much - if anything - in such a high fall.
ReplyDeleteblogging is a good thing :)
ReplyDeletea. They're special to you... and that's all that really matters. We're just glad that you're blogging and sharing these things with us.
ReplyDeleteb. I'm going with the lawn chair and hoping it slows me down enough to avoid any major injuries or death. Like SFTW, I don't see how the suit of armor is going to help as much (unless it's a huge suit of armor that's lined with a ton of memory foam).