Monday, September 7, 2026

Rescued from THE BOX - Ep. 7

     THE BOX hadn't shown its hideous face in my house for over three months. Thinking of all the cards still being held captive by its evil clutches ignited my desire to seek out THE BOX and free some cards myself.

    The journey was long and perilous. When a cardboard box doesn't want to be found, it makes things very difficult for its seeker. Their camouflage is unmatched.

    Eventually I came across what appeared to be THE BOX's lair. I surveyed my surroundings carefully. Now I was on THE BOX's turf, and surely things would different from our previous battles. However, this doesn't change the fact that it's man versus cardboard box. Or so I thought...

    As soon as I entered the lair a swarm of boxes came at me. It took much coordination to avoid being struck by them. As I stood, ever so proud myself, I let my guard down. And that's when THE BOX struck.

    Let me tell you, being hit in the head by a box full of around 600 baseball cards doesn't feel all too good, especially when you don't want to hit it back for fear of dinging the corners of its hostages. Though disoriented and with a lump on my head, the cries of hundreds of prisoners brought me back into the moment. I leapt back into the fray.

    Through a slurry of paper cuts I was able to leap on THE BOX, and using strength gained only through adrenaline, I opened the mouth of THE BOX. I grabbed a single card before its jaws snapped shut like a mousetrap. My hand barely escaped dismemberment.

    I jumped off THE BOX and ran as fast as my legs could carry me out of its lair. I was being pursued by many of THE BOX's cronies, which were surprisingly quick considering how they lack limbs and aerodynamics.

    Maybe their poor properties were what allowed me to escape, but at any rate, here I am writing this post. After taking a second to rest, I looked into my hand and saw no other than....








    1990 Upper Deck #760 Jim Presley!

    The look on his face says it all - Mr. Presley is extremely happy to be freed from the clutches of THE BOX.

    1990 isn't one of my favorite Upper Deck designs, but I particularly like this card for a few reasons; one of which being that incredible smile on the front. 




    Another reason is the back of the card. Presley is locked in on some BP while a fan makes an incredible cameo. I hope he was able to get a copy of this card. I wonder how easy it is to get on a baseball card......


    Jim Presley played in the majors from 1984-1991 as a corner infielder, largely with the Mariners, though he also played a season with the Braves (as pictured above) and 20 games in '91 with the Padres.

    Presley had his fair share of power, hitting 28, 27, and 24 home runs in 1985-1987. He was an all-star in 1986 when he hit .265 and drove in 107 runs to go along with his 27 round-trippers. In 1986 he became the second-ever major leaguer to hit two walk-off grand slams in the same season.

    Presley was the first hitting coach of the Arizona Diamondbacks, which is pretty cool.


    I hope to free more cards from the hands of THE BOX in the near future. There are still so many who need their freedom and spotlight on the blog.

     In the meantime, thanks for checking out the blog! I haven't been able to comment on blogs the last week or so, but I'm reading y'all's posts and trying to figure it out.  Have a great week and happy collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment