Sunday, March 10, 2024

A Nice Trip to the Card Store, Part 1

    Well, I've been working on this post for weeks, and here's the first part of it. I used some of my other posts to stall for this one, so it had better be good or else I wasted a bunch of time. Here goes:

    On February 17th, I went to that same card store that I would get the 600-card boxes from for only five or six bucks. Unfortunately, the prices of those boxes was raised to $15! Though still probably a good deal, it was a rather painful discovery. However, that didn't stop me from buying one (not sure how good of an idea that was).  I also got a birthday present for some friends and 65 (count 'em) quarter baseball cards, for a grand total of $38.16. I wonder what was going through the cashier's head when he saw me walk up with a fat stack of quarter cards that he had to count.
    Because I made a card purchase bigger than usual, I will split my spoils into three posts this week. The first two will feature the 65 cards I got for a quarter a pop, and the last post will feature the best cards I got from the $15 card box. Well, let's get started before I kill you all of boredom.






    As you can probably tell, I am a collector of Cal Ripken Jr. cards. I have probably 20-25 of his cards, including the eleven that I bought at the store.




    My favorite of the eleven Ripkens is the Upper Deck Cover Glory card. When I came across that one, I didn't need to think twice about grabbing it. Of course, if I ended up regretting it I was only out twenty-five cents. 

    I also saw a great deal of new Hall-of-Famer Todd Helton's cards. I ended up picking up eight of them. Here they are:



    It was tough for me to choose a favorite out of all these cards, but in the end I chose to go with the 2005 Donruss Playoff card.

    There were TONS of Scott Rolen cards looking for a home in the quarter box, and I chose eleven of them. There were still many left over, but considering the big pile of cards I had already picked out, I decided against spending more money on cards of the same guy. 




    This one was hard for me to choose a favorite. I really like a lot of these cards, and in the end call it a tie between the 1999 Upper Deck Hologram card and the 2003 Upper Deck Victory card. Upper Deck has some strong showings today.

    In addition to getting all of these cards, I also saw some nice John Smoltz cards that I decided to get. Contrary to my former pick-ups, I only grabbed five of these.




    And my favorite of these is the 2005 Upper Deck MVP Smoltz card. Upper Deck won my vote in three out of the four different player groups. 
    
    Well, that does it for this post. Please read, comment, and enjoy, and I'll be back in a day or two with the last 30 cards from the 65 that I bought. Thank you for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I've always liked that shot of Ripken signing a poster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good player collection progress there - nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite would be the 1993 Topps Ripken with the well-cropped action shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling that neither Scott Rolen or Todd Helton's cards will ever get much of a HOF bump, so they're probably good players to collect if one is so inclined.

    ReplyDelete