Thursday, July 11, 2024

The Rifleman

    I haven't posted in a week. I've been out of town, busy with family, and struggling with computer issues; the usual, I guess. Anyway, I threw this draft together a while ago, but never thought to post it. It wasn't that good. But since It's already prepared and I have nothing else to go with, well, here we are. 


    Here's something cool; I saw The Rifleman a little while back. In case you didn't know, it's a western TV show that aired from 1958-1963. A little but before my time, but MeTV is always playing those older shows in the mornings, so I'll check them out sometime. 

    Anyway, I found the lead actor really interesting. After doing my research, I figured out that he played briefly in the majors in 1949 and 1951. His name is Chuck Connors, and his nickname was, of course, the Rifleman.

    



    Here's an interesting fact; Chuck Connors is named Kevin Joseph Aloysius, not Chuck. This explains why the baseball card reads 'K. Connors.' This caught me off-guard at first, since I thought this was an entirely different person. He played first base for the Brooklyn Dodgers and then the Chicago Cubs, and in 67 games hit .238.

    Connors also played professional basketball from 1947-1948 for the Boston Celtics. I know nothing about basketball, but his Basketball Reference page says his position was as a Forward/Center.

    Since I couldn't find a basketball card of him anywhere, I'll just shoot for him in a cowboy hat from his acting days.




    Besides The Rifleman, Chuck Connors acted in quite a few other movies and television shows, but the only one I've seen is The Rifleman. He is one of fourteen people to play both MLB baseball and NBA basketball. The biggest name from baseball who played both was probablty Dick Groat, who played NBA in 1953.

3 comments:

  1. Even before my time, but the re-runs were shown everyday in the 70's. Good show. clean and moral

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to hear of a young person coming across something like The Rifleman and not dismissing it outright because it's "old". I wasn't big into westerns when I was a kid, but did watch this one in syndication from time to time. It was probably my favorite of the western shows from that era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I ever saw The Rifleman, but I feel like I've read about Connors before. Not sure I knew about Groat playing in both the NBA and MLB. Tried to find a basketball card of him, but came up short. But I've got basketball and baseball cards of Danny Ainge and Dave DeBusschere.

    ReplyDelete