Sunday, July 14, 2024

What to Look Forward To

     Well, to put it bluntly, the All-Star Break begins tomorrow. The actual All-Star Game is to be played on July 16th, at Globe Life Field, home of the 2023 World Champion Texas Rangers.

    While my campaign failed to bear much fruit since Jose Altuve won the starting second base role for the AL All-Stars, Marcus Semien will be starting the game anyway. It appears that Altuve will miss the game while nursing a sore hand.

    While both of the All-Star teams look really good this year (with the exceptions of a few positions), there are a few players that I am dissapointed are left out.





    I'm gonna ignore the fact that Brenton Doyle has been one of the best hitters on one of my fantasy teams since I picked him up on waivers, and head straight to the stats. Doyle is batting .276 with 15 home runs and 20 stolen bases across his 92 games this season, and is playing beyond stellar defense in center field. Why he's not an All-Star, I don't think I'll ever know.





    Trevor Megill (with the Brewers) has been ridiculously good as closer in place of the injured Devin Williams. Megill has pitched to a 2.05 ERA in his 32 appearances. He has also acquired 18 saves, 10.9 K/9, and only 2.1 BB/9. I honestly haven't the slightest idea why he's not an All-Star.





    Justin Steele has been absolutely electric across his 14 starts this season. In his 86 1/3 innings pitched, Steele has a 2.71 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, and 5.2% walk rate. However, his record stands at only 2-3 on the season, quite possibly the reason he's not in.





    I regret to inform all Cardinals fans that Tyler O'Neill is no longer on the team. He has, however, been raking with the Red Sox, batting .252 with 16 homers in only 68 games. Sure, the AL has a lot of good outfielders on their side. That's a definite fact. However, I would think there should be room for O'Neill on the team.





    Of course I mention Corey Seager. This is because he's batting .270 with 18 home runs in his 82 games this first half. He has also been very good in the field. And with the actual game being played in his home field, I would've thought he'd get more support.





    Though he struggled mightily his first two seasons in the Bigs (.191 batting average), Josh Smith has excelled this season in place of Josh Smith (who has a fractured wrist), batting at a nice .293 mark and reaching base at a wonderful .394 mark. He's also mashed 19 doubles and 10 home runs, while fielding like a Gold Glover at third base.



    I know that there are more snubs out there, but I'll stop with these six. I suppose it's possible that these players could get in as replacements, but I would highly doubt it by now, since the last games before the break have just finished up.




    Now then, my second order of business. Starting for the National League in the All-Star Game is the hot rookie prospect Paul Skenes. 





    Skenes has been amazing in his 11 major league starts. The Pirate has a 6-0 record and 1.90 ERA, while striking out 12.1 batters per nine innings and walking only 1.8. While 11 starts isn't a lot, the young Skenes has really earned the role as starter.

    The American League has yet to choose their starter, although I can imagine that Tarik Skubal will get the ball, with his 10-3 record, league-leading 2.41 ERA, and 10.9 K/9. He is also leading the league in Winning Percentage (.769) and WHIP (.088).


    This season proves to have an interesting All-Star Game, and I will definitely make sure to see it. Please tell me in the comments which talents you think were left out of the Midsummer Classic, and I hope y'all can get a chance to catch some of the game. As always, thanks for reading, happy collecting, and have an amazing start to your week!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like Seager made it after all! He'll be replacing Correa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seager For The WinJuly 15, 2024 at 4:44 PM

    Awesome article! I’m glad that the Rangers will be well represented in the ASG with Seager, Semien and Yates. Should be a fun one

    ReplyDelete