Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Some More Good Finds at the Antique Store

    I went back to that antique store. Like I said, they usually have some really good stuff there, but overpriced really good stuff. 
   
    But this particular day I found some decently priced autographs from a gentleman who's been collecting autos for a long time. 







    The first such autograph I acquired is actually an Andre Thornton sticker, though I don't dare to peel it off! Thornton played from 1973-1987 as a DH and first baseman for three different teams, though he spent most of his time with the Cleveland Indians. He hit 253 home runs and had an OPS of .811 across his 14 years of big league time. I got this one for $2.







    I really like the Crush soda card. Bill Fahey's career consisted of only 934 at-bats, and he hit .241 in that span. Bill is the father of another former big-leaguer in Brandon Fahey. This auto cost me $4.







    This card comes from the 1994 Topps Archives 1954 set. It already had a synthetic autograph on it, so poor Ned had to sign in an awkward place on the top left side of the card. Although it looks like there's something on his hat, that was just due to the lighting of the picture. The card is actually in very good condition. Ned Garver had a successful 14-year career in which he won 129 games and pitched to a 3.73 ERA. He lost 157 games, but this is due to him playing on some pretty horrible teams. In fact, only twice across a 14-year tenure did the pitcher play on a team with a winning record. In 1951 with the Saint Louis Browns, Garver finished second in MVP voting, getting 20 of the team's 52 wins. This auto was $6.







    This card is from the '91 Topps Archives 1953 set. The autograph was very nice and pronounced, which I appreciate. Now I'm sure we all know who Marty Marion is; Mr. Shortstop, The Octopus; he won the MVP award in 1944. After a very good major league career, he shifted over to the role of manager from 1951-1956. This one was by far the most expensive at $12, but still a good price, in my opinion.




    So I ended up spending $26 (including tax, even though it was at an antique store) for the four autographs. I was very happy with the purchase. After all, it's not every day you find a Marty Marion auto. I was never really huge on collecting autographs before hitting this antique store because they're all so expensive. But for the most part, the autos here are priced pretty well.

Y'all have a great Wednesday, and happy collecting!

5 comments:

  1. The Marty Marion auto is cool ... I have never heard of autographing a sticker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marion's signature in blue Sharpie is gorgeous. 1991 Topps Archives/1953 Topps is a great set to get signed, because the player's autograph doesn't have to compete with the player's facsimile signature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pickups! I can't help but wonder if the Garver and Marion were higher priced because the front mimics vintage cards...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't see autographed stickers very often, which is a shame, because I've always thought that they were a unique item to get signed.

    ReplyDelete