Saturday, September 21, 2024

Player of the Week 4

     Nothing like getting on the blog once you get home from being at ball fields since 7:30 in the morning. Ugh, it was a long day. Well, here we go, my second-to-last Player of the Week.

    A few interesting things happened in baseball this week, but not a ton (quantity-wise) that caught my eye. I found out who Eric Wagaman is, which by no means makes him eligible to win (unless nothing else interested me). But he's slugging .538 in his first 10 major league games, which is cool.

    I also saw the first MLB hit of Brandon Lockridge. The Padres rookie bunted down the third base line for his initial big-league knock, which I thought was so cool. Lockridge is a 27-year old leftfielder out of Pensacola, Florida. He played 526 games in 6 seasons on the farms, accumulating a slash line of .271/.348/.416 in that time with 147 steals. I'm very interested in this guy now and will be paying attention to him.

    But, there is one thing that gives the guy I chose the title of Player of the Week. I know I said I wasn't necessarily basing this on performance, but I kinda feel as though I have to. My penultimate Player of the Week is......






    On Thursday, Shohei himself got six times more hits than my entire fantasy team for that day, on my opponent's squad. This is quite possibly the greatest offensive performance the game of baseball has ever seen, and for that reason Shohei just has to be the Player of the Week.

    As the Dodgers cruised to a 20-4 win over the Marlins, Ohtani went 6-for-6 with two doubles and three home runs. The homers put him to 51. He also stole two bases, which made him the first 50-50 player! I actually didn't think he was going to do it, but this man is on a tear. He also drove in 10 and scored 4 times. I think he's easily going to be the first DH to win an MVP award, which pains me, but at the same time, who else could possibly beat him?



    Well, that does it for this week's Player of the Week post. Come back next Saturday to see who will win the last Player of the Week title. Maybe I'll throw in some playoff predictions as well, but that may need to be an entirely different post. We'll see. But for now, I hope y'all have a great rest of your weekend! Good morning, good evening and goodnight (and happy collecting).

1 comment:

  1. A. With the Padres having Profar, Merrill, and Tatis patrolling the outfield... it'll be tough for Lockridge to see any significant playing time other than giving one of these guys a day off. But even then... he'll probably take a back seat to David Peralta.

    B. Ohtani's performance was so amazing. I feel like I haven't been this excited about a single player (outside of my favorite teams) since Barry Bonds. In fact, it's not unusual for me to look at his stats before checking A's players.

    ReplyDelete