Friday, September 27, 2024

R.I.P.OAK

     I'm just gonna say it; Rest in peace Oakland A's. 

    I was never really an A's fan; well, except for that brief time I just came out of tee-ball. My team was the A's. Man, those were the days.

    Anyway, yesterday marked the last game the Athletics will ever play in Oakland. I'm glad that fans showed up to the final series; most of the season the fans in the stands have been few and far between. It just so happens that that final series was played against my Texas Rangers. 

    The A's took game one, the Rangers game two. Right before the rubber matchup began, Rickey Henderson and Dave Stewart threw out the first pitches. It seemed fitting to have a couple A's greats throw out the first pitch(es) for their last game ever at Oakland.

    It just so happened (a wee little bit to my dismay) that the A's would take the final game of that series, 3-2. What was really great was the support that the fans had for the team, even if they defeated my team. The fans really showed a love for the team that had been with them since 1968.

    I don't quite understand this move to Vegas for the team (other than the hope of acquiring CJ Abrams in free agency). Their stadium is pretty run-down, but I would think that it would cost less money to make renovations than get a whole new stadium. Though not an A's fan, this still frustrates me a bit. I really begin to feel for those fans who so desperately wanted the team to be sold in order to stay where they were. 

    Since the lease on the Coliseum will end after the 2024 season, the A's will switch locations to a minor league field in Sacramento until the 2028 season, when the field in Vegas will presumably be ready. 

    So, Oakland A's, I guess this is goodbye. 

    I have nowhere to begin
    So I'll start right at the end
    Now it's goodbye, goodbye Oakland.


    If y'all wanna see a nice tribute to the team, go check out Adventures of a Baseball Card Collector. And we will never forget the legacy that the team brought to the city of Oakland. A's fans and baseball fans alike will miss you.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout!

    I like your Abrams line, though as someone who had him in my starting line-up on two of my fantasy teams it hits a little close to home.

    (GTT)

    ReplyDelete