Tuesday, September 10, 2024

The Guy was Traded for Chris Sale

    In December of 2023, Vaughn Grissom was traded over to the Red Sox from the Braves in return for Chris Sale and cash. 
    Vaughn Grissom came up in August of 2022 after hitting well over .300 on the farms. He played very well in his 41 games that season, slashing .291/.353/.440 with 5 home runs. The middle infielder seemed promising coming into the next season.
    In 2023, Grissom played in only 23 games, where he slashed .280/.313/.347 before being optioned back down due to bad fielding. Then he got traded. For Chris Sale.
    Sale right now is the best starting pitcher in baseball, with MLB best 2.38 ERA, 213 strikeouts, 11.5 K/9, and 2.02 FIP. 
    Meanwhile, Grissom is batting .238 in AAA for the Sox. He has played 23 games in the majors, and is batting .148 in 81 at-bats. I hope he can get back on track by next year, because he is a very talented young player, who I believe can be very good in the near future. But for now, it just looks like the Red Sox made an awful trade.

    The reason I bring this all up is because I fairly recently traded for a Spring Fever Chris Sale card (YES!) and a 2023 Vaughn Grissom parallel.






    Like a lot of my parallels from 2023, this one was numbered to the year. 






    I wouldn't call myself a collector of the Spring Fever cards, but if I can find a good one, I'll take it, as evidenced by one of my previous posts (one of my most popular posts actually).






    The Nolan Jones RC was part of the Spring Fever deal, so I figured I'd put him in anyway.



    Well, I guess only time can tell what the outcome of the Sale/Grissom trade is. Like I said, I have faith in Grissom going forward, but Chris Sale is kind of working on both his first Cy Young award and his Hall-of-Fame case. Of course, Sale will be entering his age 36 season next year, so we'll see how it goes.

    Have a great week y'all! As for me, back to my busy schedule for now. Happy collecting!

5 comments:

  1. 100% on the money. Down here, people (non Braves fans) were like OMG Sale is washed up, Grissom is going to be amazing. I was like oh heck no. Sale is NOT washed up and we need pitching. sure VG could hit, but will never be a gold glover, never. I was elated about the trade from the get go. As time has shown, the BoSox may have made a bad deal, but my Braves made an awesome trade! :

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Chris Sale. He's a great competitor and the Red Sox don't win in 2018 without him. That being said, they traded away a 34-year old pitcher who only played in 31 games from 2020-23 for a young hitter who could hopefully fill a position (2B) that has been a hole for the team for years. I'm ecstatic Sale is healthy and doing as well as he is, even if this year is bittersweet (The Red Sox could use an ace!) but it's a trade I would approve of a hundred times. There's still a chance for this trade to be a win for both teams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad both parties approve of the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect autographs of left-handed Cy Young Award winners... so I'm definitely rooting for Sale to win it this season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Spring Fever card originally came from me and I'm so happy to see Chris Sale's resurgence! That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete