Monday, June 3, 2024

Snow on the Field and a Childish Third Baseman

    Sometimes when you're bored and tired, and just can't sleep, you go and look at your baseball cards. It was on one such day when I came across some cards that made the wheels in my head turn (hence the stupid name for the post). After all, I don't typically post with valuable cards or anything, so I've gotta make it interesting somehow, or you lose business. That's just how it works these days.

    Anyway, some of these cards indeed were interesting, and worth (at least I hope) showing on the blog. Maybe it's just because I was tired and so my brain wasn't working correctly. After all, it was a long day. I had just finished coaching the championship game of my little brother's team (GGs boys!), and boy, that game was 'lit,' so to speak. In the end, we won 6-5. After this, we went out to eat. Then I tried in vain to crash, so here we are.





    Shall we start with Trevor Story? This 2017 Topps gold card is numbered 1530/2017. Not gonna lie, even without the numbering, I still love this card. The action shot is perfect. In Story's rookie campaign, he smashed 27 home runs in only 97 games, one shy of Colorado's record. Again, where did it all go???





    While looking at this card, two things to mind; what is he pointing at? And, it's slightly eerie that the fielder's arm goes through the boundary of the card. I thought that the border was there to mark the end of the photo, but whatever. Anyway, nice photo for a nice card.





    If I didn't have multiple cards of Realmuto on the Marlins, I would probably forget that he ever played with them. It's amazing to think that at the same time the Marlins had Realmuto (who they traded to the Phillies after a stellar age 27 season), Christian Yelich (who was traded in 2018 after two solid seasons) and Giancarlo Stanton (who they gave away right after he hit 59 homers). I wonder what they would've been had they kept them all.





    I'll always appreciate some good old Topps Holiday cards. Evan Longoria appears to be throwing right into the midst of a blizzard. Hope everything turns out alright for the Gold Glover. Longoria retired after the 2023 season, and probably for the better. He had been fighting off injuries and bad seasons for a while. I wonder how he'll fare on the HOF ballot. What do y'all think?





    I could've sworn I saw Dansby Swanson before on this post. I'm not really sure why know why, but as soon as I laid eyes on this card, I had to have it. That'll happen with me sometimes. I probably acquired it in a trade with fellow blogger GTT one of those days not too far into the past. 
    It appears that Swanson is staring into the depths of the soul of his baseball bat. Bet it wasn't doing so good for him that day. I went ahead and did my research on this, and Dansby didn't have a good day on 2018 Opening Day, going 0-for-4 with a strikeout.





    At the all-star break in 2016, Paul Goldschmidt was batting .297/.417/.513 with 15 homers. In the actual all-star game he went 0-for-3 as a PH/1B as the NL fell (like usual) 4-2 to the AL.





    Straight from his days as a Dodger, Kenley Jansen pitched to a 2.76 ERA in 2014, collecting 44 saves for the team at age 26. He is currently second in active MLB players in saves with 429 across his 15 years of service time. Craig Kimbrel, who has also been around for 15 seasons, has the lead with 430.





    I'm not sure if it's the batter or the first baseman that David Wright has the beef with, but he should be more mature than to stick his tongue out at him. I mean, come on.
    This 2010 Bowman card is one of my favorites, not because it's valuable, but because it's a great-looking card from a great-looking set. David Wright is one of my favorite players, and according to the back of the card, he was one of three players to hit .300 with 500 RBIs since 2005. The other two were Albert Pujols and Chase Utley.





    I've got nothing to say about this card other than that it's nice to see a young Jean Segura. In 2016 Segura had a stellar season in which he hit .319 and led the league in hits with 203. He had 20 homers, 102 runs, 41 doubles and 33 steals, finishing 13th in MVP voting. 





    2012 Topps Archives is a sharp-looking set. Buster was just coming off the season in which his leg was devastated by Scott Cousins. He would come back in 2012 to win both the batting title and the MVP award (not to mention Comeback Player of the Year) en route to a Hall-of-Fame worthy career.


    That'll about do it for this post. I hope you enjoyed reading my analysis of every card posted today. Man, I need to get more sleep. Anyway, have a great Monday, and Happy Collecting!

4 comments:

  1. That Trevor Story gold parallel is cool. Nice photo and I like what Topps did with the gold parallels in 2017. As for him as a player... gotta imagine Rockies fans are breathing a sigh of relief... while Sox fans are wondering the same thing you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's only two cards in those post that did not originally come from me. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seager For The WinJune 4, 2024 at 5:45 PM

    Quality post! Also, you did an amazing job summarizing the story of Trevor Story in 2017. I enjoyed reading each section.

    ReplyDelete