Friday, May 24, 2024

Friday Again?!

     It's that day of the week again. Last week I finished showing off all the pitchers (except for one), so we will be moving on to position players presently. First however, that last lingering pitcher...





    This Clayton Kershaw card is the redo of 1986 Topps. I don't particularly like the '86 set design, but I do like the Kershaw card. It shows the 2020 wins leaders on the back of the card, and since 2020 was that shortened season, Yu Darvish took the lead with 8 wins, good for about 22 in 162 games.








    There isn't really anything special about the Series 2 Realmuto card, but I really like it for some reason. For one, I love J.T. Realmuto (being a catcher, a lot of my favorite players are catchers), and I also like the photo on the card. He looks either deep in thought, or like he's giving Angel Hernandez the side-eye. Either one will do.







    1952 Topps may very well be my favorite of the 2021 Topps representations. Just coming off Freddie Freeman's MVP-worthy 2020 season, he didn't disappoint in '21, batting .300 with 31 home runs and leading the league in runs scored (120). This was also his last season with the Atlanta Braves. It is here that I must stop to shed a few tears.








    Now then, back to the post. 1979 Topps was the first Topps set to include the company logo on the front of the cards. However, I don't think they had a 70 year anniversary patch on them, since at the time they'd been around for only 29 years. I was really dismayed to hear that in 2022 Tatis was suspended for the use of steroids. I was very interested in the young shortstop who was hitting 42 homers, but I've almost completely lost interest in him after his suspension. He doesn't play short anymore either.








    Of all the cards in the 2021 binder, this one ranks among the top five. Reminiscent of the 1993 set, the back of the card explains how '93 Topps included 825 cards, making it the biggest Topps set assembled. Unfortunately, like many of the throwback cards of the 2021 set, you don't get Trevor Story's stats. 
    Since the card doesn't have his stats, I pulled them up on baseball reference:



    Where did it all go?





    Well, that'll do it for this post. Sorry for the abruptness. I completely forgot about the Friday post until about 11:00 this morning. Come back next Friday when we'll take out another chunk of the 2021 binder. Thanks for reading and Happy Collecting!

1 comment:

  1. I really like that Topps logo from the late 60's to the early 80's.

    ReplyDelete