Sunday, April 21, 2024

Best Topps Sets of the 21st Century

    I don't know about you, but I really like to collect modern day Topps cards. I first got into collecting cards in 2019, so a lot of the cards I own are from the last several years. I am currently working on collections for each coming season, and though not really a set collector, I have a good two to three hundred cards for each season 2021-2023. I only have about 40 2024 cards, but as they trend to get cheaper part-way through the season, I'll pick up a few hundred more.

    Since I specialize in the cards from the 21st century, the point of this post will be to show what my five favorite Topps base sets from 2000-2024 are. I say five because I think y'all can guess what at least three of them are. So then, let's get started with number 5.






#5: 2015 Topps

    I really like the dual-colored border for the 2015 Topps cards, which seems to give them a bit of a futuristic touch. I also think the design at the bottom of the card is neat, though I can't quite make out what it's supposed to be. Do I own any of these cards? Unfortunately, no I don't. Gotta get some sometime.








#4: 2010 Topps

    I also really like the borders on the 2010 cards. Though it looks slightly sloppy with the colorful blotches on the side of the card, it gives them a definitive touch. I also really like the team logo on the front of the card, and appreciate that it isn't in a tiny little designated box over on the side. Do I own any of these cards? I don't think so, though I have a whole bunch of baseball card boxes in which I may have some that I didn't notice. I'll need to check that eventually.









#3: 2016 Topps

    2016 Topps really came out with a solid design. I'm partial to the bottom of each card, which has the team logo in a sort of slanted box with the player name and position next to it in a creative design. The stats on the back are also easy to read, which is good because they are often difficult to see. This specific card is awesome too; cards of players robbing home runs are spectacular, and I feel that Mike Trout has more of them than anybody else. Do I own any of these cards? Yes. I own quite a few of them, and have used them for posts before.









#2: 2007 Topps

    Anyone who reads my blog knows that I praise 2007 Topps. But why? I can't really say I have a great answer for that myself. They do look pretty sharp, and I like the green color scheme on the back of the cards. Fake autographs are nice too, I guess... '07 Topps is really unique in itself in that it caught my eye right away, and I haven't seen any other sets that look quite like this one. Ha, unlike 2016 Topps. The 2017 and 2018 sets looked very similar to 2016, which bores me greatly. And yes, I have a lot of 2007 cards, don't you worry.









#1: 2024 Topps

    Yes, Topps' youngest set is my favorite. I have a whole post dedicated to the 2024 set, so you know why I like it. But I'll give a quick recap anyway. The neon colors and team name look really sharp, and the cards have a metallic sheen to them, a nice addition that I didn't notice until I bought some. The dual-colored border looks plain awesome, and the team logo and player name look great where they are. I'm also just really excited about this set because it came out so recently. Like I said at the start of the post, I have about 40 2024 Topps cards, but there should be many more to come in the near future. This particular card is my favorite of the 40, hence the reason it's shown here.


    



Now, for one honorable mention:



2019 Topps

    I don't love this set, mostly because the last name is on the top and the first name on the bottom, which I think gives it a worse look, but otherwise the card looks pretty good. I've heard a lot of good things about the 2019 set, and the first pack of cards I bought was part of this set. I still remember many of the cards I got in that fateful pack off the top of my head (Rowdy Tellez, Luis Urias, Kyle Tucker, Paul Goldschmidt, Kenley Jansen, Edwin Diaz, Rhys Hoskins, Michael Lorenzen, Dylan Bundy and more). 



    The oldest set that made the list was the '07 set. I guess I'm more into the newer Topps cards, which isn't really a surprise. It's easier (for me, at least) to come across the newer cards, especially from the year immediately before the current one. However, when I can make it to the card store, which isn't very often anymore, I can get good deals on late 1990s and early 2000s Topps cards, and usually leave with a fat stack of them, or a 600-card box with a potpourri of cards.

    Well, there you have it, my five favorite Topps sets from the 2000s. Please tell me what your favorite sets are and how I did. Happy collecting!

4 comments:

  1. You beat me to it! I'm going to write a blog on this too, except I'm going to do it by decades so, it will be a little different. Plus, I'm going to wait a bit before I do. I can tell you this, 2015 will be higher on my list. I didn't think it would, but when I completed it and put it in a binder, all of the colors look really good. I like your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2015 is definitely my favorite from the past decade. 2019 would be in my top 5. I think my overall favorite from 2000 to now would be the 2008 set. I also like the 2004 design. I'd have to think about it a little more for the final spot. 2024 might be in the running, but I'd have to look over all the others first before I committed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2015 was the set that got me back into collecting. 2024 and 2019 probably round out my top 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a lot of 2015 Topps, but I can probably bring some over next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete